In the wake of the Equifax data breach of 2017, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) launched a new campaign to educate tax filers about identity theft threats. Through cyberattacks, hackers still sell sensitive information, including Social Security numbers, credit card information, and driver’s license data. Then, identity thieves can take this information and commit tax fraud. However, Heemer Klein takes every possible precaution to protect our clients and their data from cybercriminals.
Steps Taken by the IRS to Protect Tax Filers
Through their initiative, the IRS urges accountants to take the following actions to protect clients and their data from hackers and identity thieves.
- Instruct clients on how to recognize phishing emails from fraudsters pretending to represent the IRS. Let all clients know that the IRS NEVER contacts tax filers or tax professionals via email when establishing initial contact.
- Install anti-malware/anti-virus security software on electronic devices and follow through with necessary updates.
- Encrypt all sensitive files and emails.
- Back up client data to ensure that any secure external source is not connected to a network for any great length of time.
- Keep taxpayer data safe by limiting access to dedicated accountants.
- Check the IRS e-Services account regularly for the number of returns filed under your client’s electronic filing identification number (EFIN) to verify that ONLY the filer has used the number.
Rest assured that Heemer Klein follows all recommended precautions to keep their clients – and their refunds – safe. We’ve earned our reputation as the premier tax prep accountants by consistently offering excellent customer service and impeccable security.
Contact Heemer, Klein & Company, PLLC for Tax Preparation Warren Michigan, Sterling Heights, and Richmond
Tax season will be here before you know it, and, in the meantime, trust Heemer Klein with your accounting needs and financial concerns. We are a full service accounting service, offering business accounting for companies of all sizes, especially small businesses and new businesses. We also handle estate tax prep and provide bookkeeping services. For more information, give us a call at (586) 751-6060 (Warren), (586) 727-5145 (Richmond), or (586) 751-1040. You can also reach out to us through the contact form on our website.